Tuesday, June 12, 2007

 

Google Earth

Quite an interesting article on Dizzy Thinks blog today about the possibility of terrorists using google maps. He quotes from an article in the New York Post

It was argued that terrorists can use Google earth to find targets. This balance between the positive aspects of technology and the negative downsides always seems to cause problems. Should the internet be a place for freedom and a tool for developing knowledge? For example I frequently use google earth in my family history research, to compare what life was like then using old maps and comparing the place to present day times. Its useful for identifying churches, streets, areas and the farms where many of my ancestors worked.

However I can also understand the other side of the argument, could Google Earth be used by criminals or terrorists to plot targets? My own particular problem with any curtailment of uses of technology on the web is that it could destroy the fundemental objective of the web, a free exchange of ideas and views and a superb resource for developing understanding of issues, history and society. I remember reading an article many years ago when I studied law about who guards the gate keepers, it seems to me that this is still a moot point.

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]