Sunday, May 13, 2007

 

Walls have ears

While strolling through Toledo yesterday with a friend we noticed that one of the magnificent entrances to the Cathederal has been obscured by netting. We assumed it was to protect the masonary from Pidgeons. My friend said where is the logic in covering a beautiful piece of architecture. I replied that there is no logic in Spain, this was in earshot of a couple of fellow tourists, the problem was one of them was Spanish and understood English, "thanks mate" he replied. My get out of difficult situations emergency button was quickly pressed, laughing I meekly said "ohhh its a joke my partners Spanish". I think its my first "slagging of Spanish" faux pas. Should I develop a code or even learn Klingon???

Labels:


Comments:
Well that means you're a step further to integrating into Spanish culture - the habit of talking loudly about other people on the distinctly dodgy assumption that they won't understand anything you say is quite common here. I read something on the subject a couple of years ago by the El PaĆ­s correspondent in London - he was on a tube train and some Spanish tourists got on. One of them said something in Spanish to the effect of "it would be much easier to get on the train if it wasn't for this fat git" without realising that the fat git was not only Spanish but a journalist on a national newspaper. You never know who could be listening, worse than a journalist it might even be a blogger!
 
I'm waiting to be punched in the face because I just yell really bad insults at all of them all the time. Must de-programme before returning to England!!!!
 
Graeme - I once called a boss of mine a Witch waiting at a photocopier, little did I realise that her husband was there, he worked a few floors higher in the same building, needless to say I never acheived a promotion.

Alison - we must think "what would Gandhi do"
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]