Monday, May 07, 2007

 

Salamanca

Last wednesday I visited Salamanca with my dad and a friend, so far out of all the cities I have been to in Spain it was the most beautiful, even more so than Cordoba. It remnded me a little bit of a larger Alcala. We did get caught out my an hailstorm and downpour but it was actually quite nice to see the city without the sun bleaching all the walls. The Palacio Monterry was an architectural delight, although the truely square plaza was impressive. However for me the pearl of the city was the Cathederal, it was the most beautiful and serene religous site I have ever had the pleasure to enter. From the outside it was superb and even fussy, but inside it felt calm and spiritual. One of my students said the Cathederal in Burgos can beat it so I will have to ensure that I visit. During my last 6 years in Spain I have neglected the North except Catalunia and have concentrated on the South and Valencia. I think many of my future excursions will be Northwards.

Coming back from Salamanca I thought that this is a place where I could live. I studied in Maastricht in Holland as part of my degree and Salamanca reminded me of why these Old University Towns are really worth a visit.

Again my camera was broken so some of the photos are a bit wonky.



These shells were a sign of love ( I wish I had a Valentines present like that)






This is beyond words.



Entrance to the Cathederal




My favourite Palace




The Plaza Mayor with rain

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]