Thursday, November 16, 2006

 

economics

I teach Economics and not only enjoy the subject but lookforward to the debates the subject engenders. I am an old economic liberal so I was delighted to hear yesterday the impact immigration has had on the Spanish economy. Not only was this one in the eye for many of my students who can´t seem to grasp that economies need immigration to grow and fail to understand the concept that there are illegal immigrants working but only because the bosses won´t pay their social security. 50% of growth in the last five years has been sue to immigrant workers. Maybe cartain people should reflect on this when spending the fruits of economic growth in El Corte Ingles.

Comments:
Yes indeed - interesting also because the report was prepared by Zapatero's candidate for mayor of Madrid, I bet they try and use it against him in the campaign. It's said to see so little recognition of the contribution immigration makes in a country that was for so long a nation of emigrants
 
I think that recent immigration to Spain has happened in a big bang manner so at times I can understand why some people might not be understanding but I am great believer in the fact that if people are informed then they make sensible conclusions. My view is that politicians here have very little contact with the public except grandstanding on Television and it is up to PSOE in Madrid to inform the voters of the benefits of immigration in Madrid and in the rest of the community. Where I live in Alcala is wonderful to hear the different accents of people speaking Spanish, a new culture here is being formed, putting community into the communidad. I just wish politicians from which ever side discuss rather than respond to knee jerk reactions.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]